Saturday, December 29, 2007



For christmas this year our kids (two puddle cats and a princess dog) got my partner and I six months of Netflix! As a media junkie this pleases me beyond belief and I know that more and more movies will for sure be making their way to being blogged about here at Fuchsia Focus.

I feel a little bit behind the times, as last night was the first time I had seen John Cameron Mitchell's Shortbus. Despite hearing rave reviews since it's release I hadn't managed to actually sit down and watch it. Going in I had a few fears that its popularity was all hype, and cult adoration, however it truly was as fantastic as everyone had made it out to be. Set in my favorite city, and home (NYC) the film explores the sexual lives of individuals who frequent the fictional hangout of "Shortbus" with a fantastic cast of people, many well known in the independent and queer communities (such as Bitch - who was half of the infamous 'Bitch and Animal' queer band and now a successful musician in her own right) playing themselves, and helping the script to evolve organically.

With beautiful imagery the film travels throught the city and taking an intimate look into the bedrooms, diverse sexual desires, and needs it's characters. This film explores the limits of sexuality, and why we are all so drawn to it's queerness.

No comments: